Festival of Contemporary Music for All
The Sage Gatehead
A celebration of contemporary music comprising workshops and performances.
On Sunday 4th March there is a special event in contemporary music occurring at Sage Gateshead.
It is a perfect opportunity to take part in new music activities of all sorts: singing, playing, composing, and electronic music. Iit is aimed at students and adults, and the day will be directed by James Weeks, an academic in Durham University Music Department.
The event is a participatory of workshops from 10am-4.30, and with so much on offer £5 for the entire day is a great bargain! You are welcome to attend only part of the day if you wish, and you sign up to workshops online.
The day includes:
- Instrumental Workshops with pieces by Skempton, Rzewski, Oliveros, Harvey, Philip Venables, Naomi Pinnocl
- Choral Workshops, with one taken by Sir James Macmillan on his own music, and two with James Weeks looking at new partsong repertoire
- Electronic Music with Mariam Rezaei, scoring films on iPads (all tech provided)
- A lunchtime premiere performance in the concourse space of a piece written specially for the occasion
- A chance for composers to have a 3 minute string quartet workshopped by members of the Royal Northern Sinfonia
If you are at all curious about contemporary music or already a devotee, this is the day for you.
For more information please contact Dr James Weeks on [email protected]