Hatfield College, Durham seeks to appoint a new Director of Music of its Chapel Choir for the academic year 2017/18. The successful candidate will shadow the Choir and Director of Music during the Easter Term.
The job is worth £400 per year, and is renewable annually following consultation with the Chaplain.
The College maintains one of the finest chapel choirs in Durham, which leads worship in the Chapel, as well as maintaining a busy schedule of cathedral visits, tours and other singing engagements. The Choir sings Evensong once a week on Mondays at 6.30pm, with rehearsals before Evensong and on Sunday evenings at 6.00pm.
The Choir is made up of twenty-four students from across the University, both Hatfielders and non-Hatfielders, and is auditioned along with organ scholars at the start of the Michaelmas term. Eight choral scholarships are also offered to Choir members during the academic year for commitment and dedication to the Choir.
In addition to the weekly service in the Chapel, the Choir regularly goes to sing services elsewhere around the country. They sing Evensong or Sunday morning services in the Cathedral once a term, and previous external trips have included going to sing at Hereford Cathedral, York Minster and Sherborne Abbey. The Choir also goes on tour annually; in 2015 the Choir went to Alsace, in 2016 to Düsseldorf, and in 2017 will go to eastern Canada and the USA.
The College is looking to appoint a student with good organisational skills, experience of conducting a choir, good knowledge of the Anglican liturgy and choral repertory, and a keenness to build on the success of the Choir. In particular, the Director of Music will need to:
- Plan the music list for each term, and maintain and keep the music library organised
- Advertise, recruit and audition the Choir at the start of the academic year
- Rehearse the choir so that the Choir is able to provide music for Evensong to a high standard each week
- Plan trips for the Choir each year, including cathedral visits and an annual tour
- Plan and oversee the annual Epiphany Term organ recital series
- Establish a good working relationship with College senior staff, including the Chaplain, Master and Director of the Hatfield Trust.
- Support the social life of for the Choir, in addition to their weekly schedule.
To apply for this post, please email the College Chaplain, Anthony Bash (email@example.com) with a CV and covering letter outlining why you feel you would be suited to this post. The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Friday 24th February. Candidates will be invited to an audition with the choir on Sunday 26th February, and an interview with the Chaplain and current Director of Music on Monday 27th February.